Friday, September 16, 2011

This Moment. Friday 16 Sept.



{this moment} - A Friday ritual. A single photo - no words - capturing a moment from the week. A simple, special, extraordinary moment. A moment I want to pause, savor and remember. 

Adopted from Soulemama. Drop in there and leave your link and comments also.

If you're inspired to do the same, leave a link to your 'moment' in the comments for all to find and see.


This Moment this week is rather sad. 
In July This Moment featured the Blackbirds courting outside my workshop door.
I have been greatly entertained by their antics and singing since, but tragedy struck last weekend when I started trimming back the surrounding hedges and trees.




I trimmed the hedge the other day.
And from their nest I scared away,
The blackbird pair,
From where they lay
two sky blue eggs.
Abandoned now:
To decay.


I'd seen him courting a month ago
Dressed in his velvety black,
And hopeful orange-billed smile.
Those aloof females while standing back.
Made him dance a merry while.
But he kept right on: he didn't fail.
Consummating their new found love.
By feeding her a juicy snail.


They tried to tell me of their new home
In each stanza of their song.
The nest of which they built with straw
And laboured on so long,
Hidden in the bush over there,
Outside my workshop door.
I guess they thought it the safest place
But the nest I never saw.

So now today I must decide,
Ever since I cut that branch aside,
Did I commit infanticide?




.






Share/Bookmark

10 comments:

Roy Durham said...

great photos love your poem of them, but like you i am sad to hear that their home is gone thank you for sharing and god bless here is my moment http://royd-spiltmilk.blogspot.com/2011/09/very-special-friday-moment.html

photos by jan said...

Lovely photos, and I love your rhyme, I truly hope you didn't hurt anyone, but I sure they will be back. It is always a little sad when this kind of thing happens.

http://jovanesphotos.blogspot.com/2011/09/friday-moment.html

Jim said...

Thanks Roy. Early in the season. So hoping they'll build another.

Jim said...

Hi Jan, it's quite entertaining to look out each day and watch the blackbirds, thrush and even tuis in the trees knowing that as the seasons change they are all nesting and bringing up another clutch of young.

Nelieta said...

Love the rhyme and the photos :)

Here is my moment: http://nelietatravellingadventures.blogspot.com/2011/09/moment-in-time_15.html

pamanner said...

Hmmm, my comment disappeared. Poor little eggs!

http://pamanner.wordpress.com/2011/09/16/friday-moment-17/

David said...

Sad story but great pics and story!! Thanks for sharing Jim :)

Mari Sterling Wilbur said...

Love the poem!!!! Great visual impact. How often can you rhyme infanticide? Love your photos as well. :D

Aussie on the Road said...

I really dig this concept. I might just have to find a way to periodically work it into my own blog.

Love the poetry too. I'm a bit of a poet myself.

http://www.aussieontheroad.com/poem-coeur-dalene/

Melissa Tandoc said...

Loved the bird on the first photo... very cute :)...I think I saw those pair from another post you had.
Your poem is an eye opener... a subtle way of making your point...

Well done :)