Thursday, September 8, 2011

This Moment: Friday Sept. 9th.


{this moment} - A Friday ritual. A single photo - no words - capturing a moment from the week. A simple, special, extraordinary moment. A moment I want to pause, savor and remember. 

Adopted from Soulemama. Drop in there and leave your link and comments also.

If you're inspired to do the same, leave a link to your 'moment' in the comments for all to find and see.


It's been a very interesting week with a trip down to our home towns of Christchurch and Timaru. Christchurch has been hit by 3 large earthquakes since September 4th last year, 8,000 aftershocks have been recorded. During our visit we experienced 2 large aftershocks of 4.7 and 4.9 magnitude. Frightening and stressing. I could write a lot about our time there, seeing first hand a lot of the devastation, and listening to our friends and families tales of trauma and how they live for each day.

But I would like to concentrate on the positives. It was Springtime in Christchurch. At the end of our visit we wandered through the Botanical Gardens enjoying the full flush of pink, white and red blossoms, viola and polyanthus in a riot of colour, and daffodil carpets of yellow, orange, and cream. Spring is a time of renewal of Nature: Christchurch will re-emerge also as the vibrant city it once was.


Christchurch sure ain't a lame duck!

Share/Bookmark

12 comments:

JIM said...

Great images You caught the eye perfectly. I agree concentrate on the beauty!!



http://jpweddingphotograpy.blogspot.com/2011/09/photographing-nature-in-our-yard.html

Savira Gupta said...

I would love to take a walk on that bridge...

photos by jan said...

What a difficult task you set for yourselves. You captured the beauty so well as you always do. I love the bridge, the duck what a loving picture.

AJ said...

This looks like heaven to me. I've always imagined Christchurch to look like this. I pray there won't be any more earthquakes there.

Nelieta said...

Beautifully captured Jim!

Mine: http://nelietatravellingadventures.blogspot.com/2011/09/moment-in-time_09.html

Indulge Daily said...

I hope Christchurch will still be as beautiful as you showed here in decades to come despite the aftershocks.

Rachel Hoyt said...

I, in general, don't get too rattled by earthquakes since I've grown up with them, but 8000 aftershocks!?! Geez. I think I'd just pitch a tent by that bridge and hang out until it stopped. BEAUTIFUL photo! :)

Jim said...

Thanks JIM.Yes visiting Christchurch was very disturbing but hey.. Spring was in the air and so much new beauty around.

Jim said...

Savira, you can walk across that bridge anytime, there are flowers waiting at each end of it.

Jim said...

Taking a long time to settle down AJ. But it will be re-built.

Jim said...

Thanks Nelieta. Couldn't resist putting that duck photo up!

Melissa Tandoc said...

I fell in love with the first image. A place I wish I could visit for my past time :P...or good walk...

Loved that duck among those flowers, ahahaha...