Sunday, May 1, 2011

Z IS FOR ZEBRA: THE A - Z CHALLENGE.

Z IS FOR ZEBRA
 THE A - Z CHALLENGE

Z  has to be for zebras- what else? Enjoy some great pictures of zebras seen at Etosha National Park, Namibia and Kruger Park, South Africa. Zebra are not completely black and white- you'll notice a light brown stripe in between. No two zebra are patterned the same, each uniquely different. It is thought the stripe patterning helps confuse a chasing predator when the herd all run together. And camouflages a zebra standing still in tall grass or scrub: the lion being its main predator being colour blind is less able to see them. There are 3 species of zebra, Burchell's or Plains, Grevy and Cape Mountain Zebra.
The following photos are of Burchell's or Plains Zebra. I reckon zebra are one of the most interesting animals to photograph, no matter how they stand or whichever angle you shoot them from, you still get an amazing pic!










Kruger National Park, South Africa




Share/Bookmark

11 comments:

Red Nomad OZ said...

I've been fascinated by zebras ever since I saw a movie called 'Zebra in the kitchen' when I was a child!!

Congratulations on finishing the A-Z challenge!!

Savira Gupta said...

Well Congratulations.... it is finally done ...

Unknown said...

Great images Jim..I love Zebras I think it is because they register in my brain as a horse and then it completely messes with it'll


http://jpweddingphotograpy.blogspot.com/2011/04/romance-passion-and-sex-wow-what-blog.html

Saucy Siciliana said...

I found you through my friend meanderings. Wow, you live in New Zealand...couldn-t be farther from Sicily! I've always been attracted by New Zealand and Australia, I love green open spaces and the exotic animals that live there. Here in Sicily we have lots of goats and sheep:) Those zebras are beautiful. I'm following you from Trapani, Sicily!

Anonymous said...

LOVE THEM!

Alessandra said...

I agree with you, they must be some of the most interesting animals to photograph!

ciao
Alessandra

Ellie Garratt said...

Congratulations on reaching the end of A to Z!

Mari Sterling Wilbur said...

Wow! All the way from A or Z - that's grand. And I love Zebras!! I always wanted one as a child but of course trips to the zoo had to suffice. I love your photos, especially the last one where the Zebra is making eye contact with you.

Jessica Brant said...

Jim You made it through the alphabet.... Congratulations on finishing the challenge..... Love Love zebras and the photos are beautiful...
xoxo
Jessica

Jim said...

This was not easy friends. Trying to get a good post up each day was a real challenge , and some could have been done so much better. T^hank goodness I have a huge stock of travel photos where I can pull something out and write about them. Thanks for the support.!

Anita Gray said...

Wow- Congrats on completing the alphabet. Some great photos here. So what challenge is next?