Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Travel Photo Thursday Feb 10 : Here Be Dragons!

It's Travel Photo Thursday again so at budget travelers sandbox.com Nancie is still in Chang Mai, Thailand and posted up a really brilliant dragon photo.
So I'm a fan of shooting dragons too- the camera shooting style. Whenever I see a dragon I love taking photos of them.  They bring good luck!


This dragon was captured at The Summer Palace, Beijing, when we travelled through China and Mongolia in 2008. Started in 1750 the huge complex was destroyed by Anglo- French forces in 1880, but rebuilding commenced in 1888. It has been carefully restored.
It is one of the premier attractions in Beijing, where you can see the Marble boat (not really marble but painted to look as marble) and stroll through the beautiful gardens, enjoying wonderful views across the lake.

Click on any photo to bring them up full size.
Share/Bookmark

11 comments:

Paul F. said...

Nice ancient map making reference...Beautiful pictures!

Jorie Pacli said...

Oh my! This pictures bring back memories of my trip to Beijing. I'd seen that dragon Jim but why on earth did I forgot to capture it with my camera... ahhh... I feel like going back there!!!
Nice shot with that dragon! I would love to join your Travel Photo Thursday....;) Count me in!

alejandro guzman said...

It amazes me from one side of the earth to the other different cultures have their dragons. Did they exist? hmmm

Cheers A

Nancie said...

Beautiful shot, Jim. I visited the Summer Palace this past summer and remember seeing this dragon I probably have a photo of it somewhere!

Thanks for posting Travel Photo Thursday.

Savira Gupta said...

Great pictures

ben said...

great i love Chinese art ..n i m following u can u do the same n check out my site ?http://www.travelnlife.com/

Jim said...

Hi Paul, as an historian, I see you picked up the map reference-"Here be Dragons."

@Alejandro, yes you have to wonder how dragons entered into so many cultures. Did a few still survive until humans evovled? Or are have early humans seen exposed skeltons in rocks, like an early paleontologist would?

Anonymous said...

Beautiful pictures Jim!

Anonymous said...

That dragon should inspire you to wax poetic, Jim. Would love to read about it in pentameter.

Jim said...

Yes AJ, they're quite awezome and inspiring.

Laura said...

I love dragons, but not too fond of the Chinese dragons with the big heads... not sure why. Either way, love the picture, and that dragon makes me giggle!