Thursday, August 4, 2011

Flower Power Friday 5th Aug.

 One flowering spike from AEONIUM ARBOREUM "SCHWARZKOPF" brings brilliant warming life to our courtyard on these chilly winter days. Hundreds of flowers cluster on the stem, each one a reminder that Spring is not far away.
This plant is a native of Africa. On my 4 trips to Africa I have searched out this and other members of the crassulaceae family, and aloes and other succulent plants and photographed them. To have one in our courtyard flowering in such profusion takes my thoughts back to that exciting continent.





Dedicated to all readers who would like to post up a flower photo for Flower Power Friday.
Please leave your link to your site as a comment so everyone can trip around our virtual flower garden today.


Share/Bookmark

8 comments:

Finding One's Way said...

Jim,

Those are amazing flowers.... Thank you so much for sharing them with us.

xoxox
Jess

Mari Sterling Wilbur said...

Beautiful! I've never seen a flower like this - I love it.

Jim said...

Thanks Jessica. It is putting on an amazing display. I have them at our house front also and they are in full bloom in the middle of our winter.

Hi Mari, you should be able to get them from a local nursery. So easy to grow. If you ever see them in a public garden, pinch a cutting- they will grow easily from just a plant head.

Aaron said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Aaron said...

Jim.
Beautiful flowers and way to get this thing kicked off....I have put links at the end of my post for you, mari, and pam.

here is my link:
http://www.aaronoutward.com/2011/08/friday-forum-change-way-you-look-at.html

JIM said...

JIm what an awesome plant, I have never seen it before!! Love the flowers!! How big does the actual plant get??


http://jpweddingphotograpy.blogspot.com/2011/08/photographing-charging-grizzly.html

Anonymous said...

I'm so IN! Cheers to Flower Power Frida! Here's mine:
http://lifelense.wordpress.com/2011/08/04/flowers/

Bec Owen said...

What beautiful flowers, Jim...I love the close-up shot! Terrific detail, and the yellow color must being some 'sunshine' to your porch!