Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Behind the Taj Mahal. Travel Photo Thursday.

Gidday and welcome to Travel Photo Thursday again. 

Taj Mahal, Agra, taken on our 2006 India journey.



Let the splendour of the diamond, pearl and ruby vanish like the magic shimmer of the rainbow.
Only let this one teardrop, the Taj Mahal, glisten spotlessly bright on the cheek of time... Rabindranath Tagore, noted Indian poet.

Yeah I know...every traveller to India has this photo! If you haven't been yourself you will still recognise this is the Taj Mahal, in Agra. It must be top of every traveller's bucket list to get there, and can't blame them - it truly is the most mind-bogglingly beautiful, and romantic place we have ever been.

 These photos are taken on my old 3mp Sony digital in 2006 so not the greatest quality. But it's not the pictures of the Taj Mahal I want to show you, it's what a lot of travellers miss at the Taj. We spent 3 hours there, not wanting to leave, so headed around the rear and sat overlooking the river and watched the sun setting.



I like this scene: the river behind the Taj Mahal.


For me this pic sums up the calm, peaceful, reflective qualities of the Taj Mahal: Kay in the area at the rear where you can get away from the hordes, and just be at peace and soak up the whole ambience of Emperor Shah Jahan's memorial to his great love- his wife Mumtaz.

Sunset. Final pic before we reluctantly left.

taj-mahal-facts


Travel Photo Thursday is on again where travel bloggers post up their great pics from around the world. Join us! Head over to Nancie's Budget Traveler's Sandbox and post up your travel photo and link into the fun!



Share/Bookmark

21 comments:

Muza-chan said...

Great photos :)

Unknown said...

'A MARBLE DREAM ON THE SHORE OF REALITY'! Very nicely captured!
-PORTIA

Manisha Bhatia said...

Hey jim...Taj Mahal is the symbol of pride for we indians...Its splendid beauty s beyond words...i wonder how beautiful it wud have been when the monument was erected, thanks fr ths post.

U refreshed my memories.

Love
Mani

Denise said...

thank you for showing the other side of this ultra-famous building, however, the first 'classic' picture is still beautiful. The problem is when you see the thousands of crappy photos online of famous buildings like the Taj Mahal

Savira Gupta said...

The Taj Mahal sparkles like a pearl on a full moon... Stunning....

sulekkha said...

Beautiful pictures of Taj and the river behind it. I was there in May this year and loved exploring and learning a bit more about the wonderful monument from my very knowledgeable guide.

Jim said...

I love your quote Portia.Truly is.
Have you been there?

Jim said...

Hi Mani, yes, beauty beyond words. I can't find the words to describe it, but when I read the words of Tagore I used those because they go someway to describe the Taj.

Jim said...

Hi Janu, one place where every pic you take will be beautiful.

Jim said...

True Denise. We sat in the grounds for a long time just gazing at the beauty of the Taj Mahal, but the time we spent around the rear, awaiting sunset is the strongest remaining image of the Taj, magical time watching that and at times there was just Kay and I.
I think we had the time and aloneness there to feel the romance of the place.

Jim said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jim said...

Hi Savira, I'd love to see it in the moonlight. I guess sparkling like a pearl would describe it well then.

Jim said...

Hi Sulekkha,
How did you feel when it came to leave?
I can still remember feeling it was the only place I have ever been that I did not want to leave! It was dark, gates were about to be locked, and yet I could have just sat in the grounds throughout the night and never slept a wink and just looked at it!

lakwatsera de primera said...

One of my dream destinations, wish to see this someday

thepinaysolobackpacker said...

i was gonna see this tis Nov but I cancelled my trip. :( this is beautiful Jim esp your intro, the line from the poet. I'll never get tired of seeing this photo.

Jim said...

Hi Claire, yep,a dream destinaation for sure. hope you realise your dream one day.

Jim said...

Hi Gael,Nov is a good time for India too. Sad you cancelled. Have you re-scheduled?
Yes, that poetry I loved it soon as I read that. How else could you write about it?

Nancie said...

Stunning shots Jim! The river scene is mesmerizing. I could imagine sitting there for hours.

Cheryl said...

Lovely photos, esp the sunset photo! Can't wait to make a visit to the Taj Mahal myself.

photos by jan said...

Such stunning photos. Love these,I am always amazed at the beauty you are able to capture bring me to where you are...Thank you.

Richard Smith said...

Amazing picture with great article. I had visited Taj Mahal last year with my family, the trip was amazing for us as we had seen first time this beautiful sightseeing.